Gosh, forty things in 40 years, I almost ran out of paper! By the way, this is totally inspired by Taylor Swift sharing her “thirty things in thirty years” article this year in ELLE magazine.
This was such a fun exercise hopefully some of these things make you laugh and others maybe help you on your path. And, apparently, I’m a poet now too. 😉 Whichever milestone you are on they really are all different. My twenties were different than my thirties and I expect now that I just turned 40, forty will be different than the rest!
Honestly, I can tell you the older I get the better things really seem to be. I am proud of where I am in my life today. However, I don’t think I could have said this somewhere in my teens or my mid-twenties.
Even though 40 has just begun for me, I have a really good feeling about this year and all the new things I will learn!
Forty things I have learned…
- Wash your face and do it every night.
- Figure out if you are allergic to cats before you own one! So you may be wondering about this one well let me explain… I knew I was allergic as a kid but still begged to have a cat. Nothing worse than having a pet you really can’t be around.
- Learn to cook, it will save you from too many cold bowls of cereal! Cooking is really not as hard as it sounds. I am definitely no chef so please don’t let me fool you. Start out small and don’t be afraid to try new recipes.
- Making your bed is a waste of time. (Ok, I realize this is just my preference LOL!)
- Save your money. You don’t need ALL the throw pillows!
- If you don’t absolutely love it, don’t buy it. An example for me would be trying on an outfit or maybe buying something for the house. If I don’t love it, I don’t buy it!
- Do your dishes before you go to bed it saves you from extra stress.
- Trust your gut even if it takes you out of your comfort zone.
- Try to put yourself in someone else’s shoes.
- Empathy over sympathy.
- Taking the time to really listen can mean everything.
- Love, always love.
- Clean out your closet at least twice a year! Practicing this has really encouraged #6 above.
- Take time to be alone.
- Forgiveness frees you from bitterness.
- I can do hard things and so can you.
- It’s ok to not be ok sometimes. Yes, I am a Christian and believe God can pull me out of dark places but sometimes you get stuck and it’s ok.
- Finding joy in the little things.
- Cardio is #1. (Yes, I did steal this from Zombieland)
- It’s ok to say no. You don’t have to do all the things.
- Go to an event alone it is totally character building.
- Our timeline is not like God’s. He answer’s prayer at the perfect time.
- Never stop adventuring (this combined with a good face cream IS the fountain of youth!)
- Going to bed angry only makes things worse. Suggest talking earlier in the day if you think it may lead to an argument.
- Talk to God. Really talk to Him.
- I highly recommend a Home DNA test to find out what foods and drinks you may be intolerant to.
- And taking a good probiotic daily.
- Spend five uninterrupted minutes with God every morning.
- Not everyone is going to like you no matter what you do.
- Keep your friends close and your enemies closer and always, be kind.
- Learn your spouse’s buttons and I repeat don’t push them!
- Giving is truly better than receiving. This was so huge for me because I used to be so not generous. I give my hubby all the credit on this one. He is the most generous man I know! There’s so much joy and blessing to be had when you are generous.
- Put my faith in Jesus twenty years ago and it was the best decision I ever made.
- Motherhood has truly brought out the best and worst out of me. Motherhood is hard especially when it brings out your ugly side. I do believe God made me their mom for a reason and He gave me them specifically too
- I am so grateful for my marriage and my three little ladies.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Enjoy what you are passionate about.
- Travel to faraway places. Experiences over possessions.
- Know who your friends are and love them deeply.
- Remember, there is only one you and you are fearfully and wonderfully made.
Nothing better than celebrating 40 with your best friend!!
Feeling 40 and fabulous!!